Eastern Oklahoma VA Health Care System
Tulsa VA Health Care Center Project Update
In October 2018, the Eastern Oklahoma VA Health Care System (EOVAHCS) awarded a contract to SASD Development Group, LLC. to build a 172,000-square-foot VA health care center at 8921 S. Mingo Rd. in Tulsa.
On April 5, 2019, VA and SASD Development Group held a public groundbreaking ceremony for the future Ernest Childers VA Health Care Center, which will consolidate all VA outpatient services for Veterans in Tulsa.
As of December 11, 2019, C&SD Construction has completed the following:
- 80% of parking area concrete is complete
- Dirtwork and site utilities are 90% complete
- Steel erection is 65% complete
- Electrical and plumbing under slab is 100% complete
- Slab on grade is 86% complete
- Precast panel erection will begin in January
Construction is scheduled to be completed in June 2021.
“I look forward to updating our Veterans and the public on the continued progress,” said Jonathan Plasencia, associate director of the Eastern Oklahoma VA Health Care System, who oversees the construction of the Ernest Childers VA Health Care Center. “I am extremely pleased with the progress. You can really start to see the health care center taking form with the addition of the second story. It won’t be long before you see the exterior of the building taking shape.”
The new facility will replace the Ernest Childers VA Outpatient Clinic, Tulsa VA Behavioral Medicine Clinic and Tulsa VA Dental Clinic and will provide the following services:
- Audiology: 4 audio booths
- Behavioral Health: 55 private counseling offices and over 1,800 square feet of group rooms
- Dental Clinic: 14 treatment rooms, oral surgery room, and a dental prosthetic laboratory
- Eye Clinic: 15 eye exam rooms and eye glass fitting and dispensing services
- Endoscopy: 3 endoscopic procedure rooms with 10 preparation and recovery rooms
- Infusion Clinic: 9 infusion bays
- Laboratory: 6 blood draw rooms and a chemistry and microbiology clinical laboratory and blood bank
- Pharmacy: 5 prescription pick-up and drop-off windows and a complete compounding laboratory
- Physical Therapy: 5 exam rooms and 1,900 square feet of open exercise treatment floor
- Primary Care: 92 exam rooms, 6 consultation rooms, and 6 procedure rooms on 2 floors
- Prosthetic and Sensory Aids: 4 fitting and exam rooms
- Rehabilitation and Recovery Center: Full kitchen, day room, practical classroom, shower and laundry
- Radiology: 2 x-ray rooms, 2 ultrasound rooms, 1 CT scanner room, 1 mammography room and a mobile MRI PAD
- Specialty Care Clinic: 15 general exam rooms and 8 specialty procedure rooms
- Women’s Clinic: 3 OB/GYN exam rooms
The Ernest Childers VA Health Care Center will offer mammography services, a service the Eastern Oklahoma VA Health Care System does not currently provide. In fiscal year 2019, more than 850 Veterans received mammography services in the local community. By 2021, VA estimates approximately 1,000 Veterans will need mammography services.
“Not only will this world-class facility allow VA to consolidate outpatient services, but also gives us the needed space to expand our services in the future,” said Mark E. Morgan, director of the Eastern Oklahoma VA Health Care System. “It also promises greater patient satisfaction and improvements in our Veteran’s experience. VA is committed to the best possible customer service and to the highest quality health care, so we can ensure our Veterans access care closer to their homes and that they continue to choose VA over their lifetime.”
The health care center will sit on 22 acres and include 945 parking spaces. The facility will also have 19 waiting areas, 21 reception stations, five offices for Veteran Service Organizations and a Veterans Canteen Service retail store and food court.