Eastern Oklahoma VA Health Care System
Behavioral Health Service: Doctoral Psychology Internship Program
MATCH Number Program Code: 242611
Applications Due: December 1, 2017
EOVAHCS’s Doctoral Psychology Internship Program is a newly funded VA internship site; therefore, it is not yet accredited by the American Psychological Association’s (APA) Commission on Accreditation (CoA). Although the internship is not currently accredited, the Office of Academic Affiliation indicates that any individual who completes a VA psychology internship IS ELIGIBLE for VA employment and VA Postdoctoral Fellowships. Further, the program will be developed around competency requirements outlined by the 2017 Standards of Accreditation for Health Service Psychology by CoA with the expectation the program will gain accreditation as soon as possible. This internship site agrees to abide by the APPIC policy that no person at this training facility will solicit, accept, or use any ranking-related information from any intern applicant.
The Internship year is divided into two major rotations of six months each, two minor rotations of six months each, and a yearlong rotation focused on evidenced based assessment and therapy. In general, Interns are expected to achieve foundational competencies in the area of clinical assessment, group and individual psychotherapy, consultation, treatment planning, professionalism, ethical/legal standards and policy, sensitivity to individual differences and cultural diversity, supervision, and scientific knowledge and methods.
Choice of major rotations include: (Interns will choose two each lasting 16 hours per week for six months )
- General Mental Health Clinic (GMHC)
- PTSD Clinical Team (PCT)
- Sexual Trauma Treatment Program
- Acute Inpatient Psychiatry/Behavioral Health
- Substance Use Disorder Team (SUD)/Veterans Treatment Court
- Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Recovery Center (PRRC)
- Pain Clinic – Health Psychology (This rotation may be unavailble for 2018-2019 year)
The choices for minor rotations includeall of the above and the following: (Interns will choose two each lasting 8 hours per week for six months)
- Home-Based Primary Care (HBPC)
- Rural Telemental Health
- Special Populations
- Compensation & Pension Clinic (C&P)
Our program is using the APPIC Application for Psychology Internship (AAPI) to enable you to complete one application for all sites that are participating in the APPIC uniform application process.
For your application to be complete, we must receive the following materials through APPIC by 12/1/17:
- Online APPIC Application for Psychology Internship (AAPI)
- Your Curriculum Vitae—to be submitted as part of AAPI
- Three letters of recommendation—to be submitted as part of AAPI
- Graduate school transcripts—to be submitted as part of AAPI
- Your Academic Program Verification of Internship Eligibility and Readiness Form—to be submitted by your Director of Clinical Training as part of AAPI
- Cover letter (no longer than two pages) addressing how your experiences to date and current career goals make you a good fit for the training offered at EOVAHCS and emphasizing rotations of interest
All Applicants will be notified of their interview status by December 15, 2017 via E-Mail. On site interviews will be conducted for the dates indicated below. It is highly recommended applicants attend the onsite interview; however, interviews can be arranged to be conducted via video tele-conference or by phone if needed.
INTERVIEW DATES FOR THE 2018-2019 TRAINING YEAR
• January 10, 2018
• January 16, 2018
For any questions please contact:
Patricia Byrd, Ph.D.
Interim Director of Training
River Smith, Ph.D.
Associate Director of Training
Psychology Doctoral Internship Program Brochure
Hours of Operation
- Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.